Monday, July 03, 2006

T'ai Chi and idiocy


The photo is not of me. It was a T'ai Chi demonstration at the ribbon-cutting ceremony
for the new Health Equity building.

I am already feeling like the village idiot again, one reason I stopped doing the blog thing.

I can give lessons in idiocy to anyone who needs them. At a cost of merely $99.99 per CD/DVD
set, YOU can experience:
Lesson number one: how to get fat.
Lesson number two: how to write bad poetry.
Lesson number three: how to lose friends.

I'm going to post a poem which is an answer to all the poems I posted yesterday. Note that it's a villanelle, a rather bland one, but it follows the rules.

The Poet Judges Herself

I’m a girl who needs to be ashamed
for writing down exactly what I feel.
I am the poet who deserves the blame.

Accuse me: I think writing is a game.
I am a bad exploiter of what’s real.
I’m a girl who needs to be ashamed.

At this rate I will not win cash or fame.
With what kind of demons do I deal?
I am the poet who deserves the blame.

In my quest to be concrete I’ve named
details that I had no right to steal.
I am a girl who needs to be ashamed.

Caesar said he conquered; I just came
and saw and lacked respect to pray, to kneel.
I am the poet who deserves the blame.

It’s not a case of someone being framed.
I really eat the truth at every meal.
I am a girl who needs to be ashamed.
I am the poet who deserves the blame.

---Harriet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stacia said...

I like your refrain lines, Harriet, and no, it isn't bland. I just wrote one the other day--the villanelle is making a comeback amongst us over-emotional females, isn't it? I'll post mine and you can let me know what you think. Snail mail comments on your sonnet series to follow!

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home