Thursday, June 16, 2005

Aimee's exercise

Some of you may have read my awful poem called "exercises" where I whined about writing exercises. But after reading Rane's and Aimee's results from that exercise, I decided to try my own. I didn't get the words from the dictionary, I grabbed the nearest book which was
Komunyakaa's Neon Vernacular.

The words are: alphabet, poodle, locomotive, laughter, hubcap, music, fruit, unicorn, junkyard
mountain

The Alphabet of Laughter

I heard the music of the hubcaps late ---
later than I possibly could wait.
The locomotive, show and lumbering
had shaken my foundation, I did not
sleep that night, my poodle also stayed
alert; he must have heard the music too.
But lest you think I suffered through the night,
let me reassure you that the sight
of that junkyard unicorn made it all worthwhile.
Yes, the hyper-vigilance bore fruit.
A mountain of ethereal white flesh ---
that unicorn was dressed in heaven’s suit.
I wrote an alphabet, an alphabet of laughter,
and all the dreams that come must follow after.

Thanks for the exercise, Aimee. I personally like the result much better than that tortured
thing I wrote the other night.

--- Harriet

2 Comments:

Blogger Aimee said...

Harriet, great words and a great poem. I may steal your words and do another exercise.

thanks :)

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harriet,

I found your poem to be very imaginative! Do you think of it as a sonnet?

An Alphabet of Language...hmmm...
how about twenty-six more poems in the series?

Gwen

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home